With the release of patch 6.18 on July 5, 2022, Cross Data Center Travel was finally added to the game. The feature allows players to play with friends and strangers across data center boundaries. Below we’ve detailed exactly how you can travel between Data Centers in FFXIV.
How to Move Between Data Centers in FFXIV
Unlike trips around the world, trips to the data center must be undertaken from the character selection screen. So the first step is to load Final Fantasy XIV and right-click on the character you want to travel with in the data center. This will bring up the subcommand menu. From this menu, select Visit another data center.
This will bring up a new menu that will allow you to select the data center and world you want to travel to. Once confirmed, you will enter a brief loading screen. This loading screen is related to overall connection congestion, so if there is a lot of congestion in a data center, moving the data center will take longer.
Data center travel is limited to data centers in your current region. This means that it is unfortunately not possible to travel between regions, such as North America and Japan.
Back from your trip to the Data Center in Final Fantasy XIV
To return to your own data center, you’ll need to go back to the character select screen and start the process over manually. You cannot undo moving the Data Center during the loading screen.
Data Center Move Characteristics
Players who have traveled to a new data center will see a new title displayed on their nameplate. This is similar to the “Wanderer” title that appears when traveling to other worlds within a data center. This title is “Traveler” and will be displayed during tasks and when interacting with the overworld.
In another data center, you can interact with friends, participate in tasks and continue to progress in the quest.
Data Center Move Restrictions in FFXIV
Manufacturing and picking
- Legendary and Untouched Gathering Nodes are inaccessible.
- Servants cannot be summoned, hired, or released.
- You cannot list items for sale on the Market Board.
- Free societies cannot be incorporated or associated.
- Free company information cannot be viewed.
- Company credits cannot be earned.
- Free Business Chat cannot be used to send or receive messages.
Linkshells and Cross-World Linkshells
- Linkshell information cannot be viewed.
- Linkshells cannot be created or attached.
- Linkshells cannot be used to send or receive messages.
- Cross-world linkshells cannot be formed.
- It is still possible to join cross-world linkshells, with a limit of eight cross-world linkshells per data center.
- Travelers cannot be promoted to masters of cross-world linkshells in the destination data center.
- Cross-world linkshells in different data centers cannot be used to send or receive messages.
- You cannot view exchange information and you cannot join exchanges in different data centers.
- No houses can be purchased, properties or apartments.
- Home sharing is not available.
- Eternal Bond Ceremonies are not available.
- Eternal Bond quests are not available.
- Invitations to ceremonies cannot be offered to players in other data centers.
- In the Golden Saucer, Lord of Verminion tournaments cannot be entered, Triple Triad tournaments cannot be entered, and Jumbo Cactpot tickets cannot be purchased or redeemed.
- Deep Dungeon results will not be recorded on the leaderboards.
- Crystalline Conflict PvP ranked matches are not available and PvP teams cannot be formed, joined, or chatted with.
Moogle delivery service
- Moogle delivery service is not available and you cannot receive messages or purchase items.
- Ceremonies of Eternal Bonding eternity rings only work when both players are on the same world.
- You can only use an Aetherite Pendulum to teleport to the nearest Aetherite if both players are on the same world.
- You can only teleport to a friend’s domain when you are on their home world.
New bonuses and favorite world
- You will not receive experience bonuses for visiting new or favorite worlds.
For more Final Fantasy XIV news and information, check out Everything Added in Final Fantasy XIV Patch 6.18 on Pro Game Guides.