Phasmophobia’s EMF Reader is one of the main pieces of equipment that can be used to obtain direct evidence of the Ghost. An EMF reading of five is one of the defining pieces of evidence needed to determine Ghost type, however, this can be difficult for many players to obtain. Players often cancel EMF 5, not understanding that getting this reading only has a 25% chance. Random EMF readings may also occur, indicating that the Ghost has used its power. Here is how to use the EMF Reader in Phasmophobia.
How to Use EMF Reader in Phasmophobia
There are five lights attached to the EMF Reader in Phasmophobia, each responding to different things the ghost can do. Each light represents:
- 1/Blue – The default state of EMF/None activity.
- 2/Green – Detect ghost interaction activity such as opening a door, turning something on or off, responding to the Ouija board, consuming the crucifix, or certain uses of a ghost’s ability.
- 3/Yellow – Detects thrown object activity.
- 4/Orange – Detects ghost event activity such as ghost manifestation or random smoke/hiss ghost can make. This can also be played from the summoned ghost from the summoning circle or music box. Any flush will also be read as 4 reads.
- 5/Red – This reading is evidence in Ghost type determination and has a 25% chance of occurring instead of EMF readings 2 and 3.
All phantom abilities that produce an EMF reading in Phasmophobia
An EMF reading of 2 can be seen from these phantoms:
- Jinn – This ghost’s ability can only be used when the power is on and will attempt to drain players’ sanity. Detection of this ability can be seen by placing the EMF Reader near a fuse box. When the Ghost uses the ability, the fuse box will stay lit and have an EMF reading of 2 or 5.
- Ghost – This ghost walks randomly towards players and in doing so will create an EMF reading of 2 or 5 at the location it started walking from.
- Poltergeist – Whenever this Ghost throws multiple items, it drains players Sanity for each item thrown. Although the objects themselves have an EMF reading of 3 when thrown, an EMF 2 or 5 will be detected.
- Wraith – This ghost can teleport towards players, creating an EMF reading of 2 or 5 each time it does. The teleport will be to a random player, making it easier to get this reading by getting people out of the ghost room to wait for a reading somewhere far away.
For more details on one of these ghosts, check out How to Identify a Djinn in Phasmophobia – All the Evidence and Tips on cheats4games.