Whether or not you’re a long-time player of the hugely popular World of Warcraft, you might run into your share of glitches and bugs. One of those many issues is with your character and not being able to log in regularly. Specific issues faced by players include “a character with the same name already exists” and “a character already online”.
How to Fix Common Problems
These issues only occur if a player does not properly disconnect their character from the server. To resolve this problem, you can try one of these three options:
- Try logging in with another character, then log out completely and close the game before reopening and trying again.
- Reset and troubleshoot game UI.
- Quit the game completely.
- Uninstall all add-on managers to ensure that none of your deleted add-ons will be added again.
- In the Battle.net app itself, click Options followed by the Reveal in Explorer option on Windows or the Reveal in Finder option on Mac.
- Open the folder where you keep World of Warcraft.
- Open the folder containing the specific version of the game you are trying to troubleshoot (commercial, classic_era, or classic).
- Rename the Cache, Interface, and WTF folders to CacheOld, InterfaceOld, and WTFOld.
- Relaunch the game for the above changes to take effect.
- You may have to wait 30 minutes for the server to automatically delete the character due to inactivity.
For more on World of Warcraft, check out When is World of Warcraft: Dragonflight Release Date? only on ps4 games.